Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2014

Flavors of Uganda

I have eaten many new foods on this trip, including matoke, ground nut sauce, pilau and cow tongue. However, there is still something that I must try before I leave: grasshoppers. I have seen them a few times, yet I haven’t worked up the courage to try them.


Grasshoppers are a popular food amongst Ugandans. After they are caught they are fried and sold by local street vendors.


The way they are captured was very intriguing to me. There are areas set up with barrels, sheets of metal and bright lights. The grasshoppers are attracted to the big, bright light bulbs and they fly around them until they smack into the metal sheets and fall into the barrels. This set up is clever. 


I am nervous and enthusiastic to try grasshoppers. They are a great, inexpensive source of protein and healthy fats. Everyone I ask seems to love them. I hope I enjoy them just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment