Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2014

Reflections on Culture and Relationships

This trip has proven to be a wonderful cultural experience. I have learned much about the practices and traditions within Ugandan culture. I thought it would be nice to share a bit about regarding relationships.

Marriage
I will start with polygamy. Here in Uganda, men are allowed to have up to 4 wives. It was an interesting conversation discussing the differences, and some similarities, amongst relationships between American men and woman and Ugandan men and women. The conversation actually started because I heard our friend (Sarah) talking about birthing issues and she said “co-wife.” I had to ask her to repeat herself to make sure I was hearing correctly (as I was taken aback by her statement).
Sarah informed us that there is a cultural belief that a woman’s co-wife or wives may perform witchcraft on her. Some individuals correlate health or birthing problems to witchcraft from a co-wife. To me this was a fascinating belief.

I was surprised at how nonchalant Sarah spoke about a man having multiple wives. Not that I am married, however, she seemed surprised that I would “not let my husband have more than one wife.” We spent some time discussing our own personal experiences around marriage and family. It was a lively, enlightening conversation.

Respect
In addition, I found out that women kneel when greeting their husbands and refer to them as 'sir.' However, this act is not reserved solely for men. As a sign of respect, younger community members will kneel to elders in the community. I observed a young woman kneel down when she entered a room before speaking to her valued elder. It is a sign of the elder's superiority and it shows your respect for that individual. I have mixed feelings about this act, but I do like the respect for elders.

Friendships
Finally, I also learned about a tradition that I feel is beautiful and heartwarming. I learned about the value placed on strong and meaningful friendships.

When you have spent much time together, and a friend has shown you much love, you no longer consider them a friend but now a sister. There is an exchange that happens which is along the same lines as the concept of “blood sisters.” Each individual will make a small cut in their hand and each will dip a coffee bean into her cut, transferring some of their own blood onto the bean. The two individuals will then exchange coffee beans and eat each other’s blood. As you have now consumed the blood of the other woman you are no longer simply friends, but you are now sisters (family). If there is a younger girl and an older woman, then the young girl is considered as a child. The older woman will say “you are my last born” as they now consider themselves as a mother figure to you.
Due to the education we have around HIV, this practice has changed a bit. Now you do not consume the other person’s blood, but eating the coffee bean is symbolic of this tradition.

I just wanted to share a few stories to highlight some of the cultural aspects I have been learning and observing. Hope you enjoyed them!


-Danielle Calhoun

No comments:

Post a Comment